The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is running a consultation seeking views on a proposed ban of wet wipes containing plastic.
The proposal would ban the manufacture, supply and sale of wet wipes containing plastic in the UK. The consultation is seeking views on:
- The likely impact of the proposed ban on the businesses who manufacture, supply or sell wet wipes containing plastic;
- The likely impact of the proposed ban for consumers, particularly for those with protected characteristics, e.g. disabled people;
- Any wider impacts of keeping plastic containing wet wipes in circulation;
- Any wider impacts of wipes marketed as alternative or plastic-free;
- The composition of alternative wet wipes;
- If any exemptions are needed for wet wipes containing plastic; and
- The proposed timeframe for the commencement of the ban.
Areas being considered in the consultation in relation to potential exemptions include where such wipes are intended for medical or professional usage and we would welcome any feedback from members.
The consultation will close on 25th November, and members wishing to respond directly can do so via the link below or in writing to Consultation Coordinator, Defra 2nd Floor, Foss House, Kings Pool 1-2 Peasholme Green York YO1 7PX or via email to: email@example.com