21 September 2021
Public Health England has published the latest edition of the Delivering Better Oral Health (DBOH) toolkit. DBOH is an evidence based toolkit intended to support dental teams in improving their patient’s oral and general health.
The fourth edition of the toolkit, which has been developed with the support of the four UK Chief Dental Officers, is intended to be relevant to all dental team members as it:
- supports primary care dental teams to routinely promote oral and general health
- facilitates the provision of optimal care, advice, and support for patients in achieving and maintaining good oral health
- is an educational resource for dental schools, postgraduate deaneries and other providers and commissioners of dental teaching
- is equally appropriate to dental specialists and their teams
- may be used across health and social care
- allows commissioning bodies to implement preventive pathways of care
- will be supported by resources to facilitate continuing professional development.
Whilst the guidance seeks to ensure a consistent UK wide approach to prevention of oral diseases, some differences in operational delivery and organisational responsibilities may apply in Wales, Northern Ireland and England. In Scotland the guidance will be used to inform oral health improvement policy. BDIA members were provided with the opportunity to comment on a draft of this latest edition of DBOH earlier in the year.