14 October 2020
The Department for Transport (DfT) has announced that it has concluded its procurement of freight capacity away from areas of potential border disruption ahead of the end of the Brexit transition period, and has published the routes for the Government-Secured Freight Capacity (GSFC).
From 31 December 2020, Brittany Ferries, DFDS, P&O and Stena will be ready to deliver capacity on up to 9 routes, operating from 8 potential ports in England, equivalent to over 3,000 HGV’s per week.
The GSFC is available only for the transportation of Category 1 goods – those goods which are critical to the preservation of human or animal welfare and/or national security – including medical devices and clinical consumables for both import and export.
DfT is encouraging suppliers of Category 1 goods to register to use this capacity as soon as possible:
- From Monday, 19 October, please follow this link to register for the GSFC: https://ship.mixmove.io/customForm/DHSCSupplierRegistration.
- Within three days of completing registration, you will receive a unique supplier access code.
- Please pass this unique code onto your logistics provider along with the attached GSFC Handbook.
- Your logistics provider will need to set themselves up on the DfT’s ticket purchasing system, using the unique supplier code you received.
- Full details of sailing schedules, crossing times, commencement dates and prices will be released in mid-November prior to the sale of tickets.
- Initial tickets will be made available for GSFC in late November and released in phased batches thereafter.